Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mom and I

My mom and I

I guess today you would say Pauline Sloan, my mom was vertcally challenged. My mom was 5 foot 2 and Lloyd Sloan, my dad, was 6 foot 4. So, they were one of those funny couples that had a huge height difference. I spent my whole life from the time I was a baby until the time I left home in a small house in suburban Concord, California.

Both of my parents died before I was thirty and my children never got to know them much. My mom was a factory worker. Jobs like hers do not exist in this country any more, long ago they have gone off shore. She was a union activist and a lifetime member of the United Steelworkers Union. Even though she had to drop out of school after the eighth grade to help support her family after her father died, she was very smart and inspires me still.

I found this old picture of her. Her birthday is coming up and so I started thinking about her.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: