Monday, December 17, 2007

I attended the AIPAC dinner

Editorial: Nuclear Iran is No Joke
Last night I attended the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) dinner in Santa Clara with other faculty from SJSU and UC Santa Cruz. I am very concerned about Iran getting nuclear weapons. I do not think most Americans, or most of the rest of the human race, appreciates the potential threat this poses. It is hard to imagine that Israel or the United States could let this happen. In my opinion Ahmadinejad is a lunatic. Are we really stupid enough to believe they have stopped trying to get a nuclear weapon? Did we not learn enough from the days before World War Two? Did we forget the lessons learned after Neville Chamberlain's Peace in Our Time speech given in defense of the Munich Agreement in 1938? The Second World War provided us with many lessons we dare not forget regarding the appeasement of lunatic leaders who hate Jews; especially the holocaust.

Iran's Ahmadinejad is a holocaust denier who hates Israel. He denies the right of Israel to exist and is in favor of a world without the United States. My favorite line last night was, "why would a country sitting on top of some of the world's largest oil and gas reserves even need nuclear power?" In my mind it is not a matter of liberal versus conservative, right versus left, pro or anti-war, it is a matter of our survival. In terms of issues that cannot be ignored, I think this is right up there with global warming!

No comments: