- 4 cups vegetable oil (Wesson oil) or olive oil
- 3 medium-large eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/4" thick)
- 3 -4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 6 cups pasta sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large skillet with about 1/4-inch of oil, heat over medium heat heat until hot.
- Working with 1 slice at a time, dip eggplant in egg, let excess drip off, and then dip in bread crumbs until evenly coated.
- Fry eggplant, turning over once, until golden brown on each side. Set aside until all eggplant is fried.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer eggplant in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Spread thin layer of sauce to cover the bottom of baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce.
Sprinkle the eggplant with generous amount of parmesan cheese, sprinkle shredded mozzarella, and add a thin layer of sauce.
Repeat. Ideally, end up with 3 layers of eggplant.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until sauce is sizzling around the edges of the dish.