Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A blog about HPVs at SJSU

Bicyclist riding through crowd at SJSU

A new dedicated blog

I have been trying to minimize this topic on this blog and stay focused on family. However, I am concerned. In my opinion human powered vehicles pose a safety risk to their operators and pedestrians at SJSU:
  • As an employee I am concerned about the risk to students and employees.
  • As a parent of young adults I am concerned that many of the operators of these devices are prone to take risks.
  • As a parent of an SJSU student I am concerned that this is a dangerous situation that the university, in my opinion, is ignoring.
  • As a taxpayer I am concerned that the university is taking on a financial risk by assuming liability in the event of a lawsuit arising from this flawed practice.
  • As a bicyclist myself I am all too aware of the hazards of improper use of human powered vehicles.
Because university employees are covered by a collective bargaining agreement I filed a grievance under our union contract. I documented my concerns and the grievance here, on this blog. But, I have received a lot of support from folks who are not covered by our union contract. So, I have decided to shift the attention here, to this blog, that will be focused on this issue exclusively.

No comments: