Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The circle game

Steve holds Luci's hand

The Circle Game is a Joni Mitchell song we sang around the campfire on the cross country bike ride in June. To me the song is about a child's life and the wonder of how children grow up and have children. This repeating miracle, this "carousel of time," goes on all over the world, repeating over and over billions of times over time and through all time and we are all living it. It is life.

I have been thinking of this a lot and listening to the song often. I've pondered this when I thought of my children, and friend's children, once babies, now growing up, marrying and becoming parents themselves. The carousel of time turns constantly for us all.

"And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We’re captive on the carousel of time
We can’t return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game."

No comments: