Sunday, May 01, 2011

Got the bastard!

Is it bad to be glad Osama is gone? Is it bad to be glad he will not be killing any more of our friends, parents, siblings, sons or daughters? What if the November 8th 1939, Munich bomb planted by Georg Elser had killed Hitler? Is it bad to wish it had?
At some point the only response to deadly force is deadly force. Should we have unilaterally disarmed in the 1930's instead? Should we then and now disband our military? Should the sailors manning the guns on the ships that were being bombed at Pearl Harbor not shot back?
Unilateral disarmament has a poor track record of success compared to failure. Appeasement of tyrants seldom works. When Neville Chamberlain signed the Munich Agreement in 1938, and Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland was handed over to the Nazi German Reich, the result was not peace in our time. Killing Osama is a risk. But, I think it was a risk we had to take. I don't think surrender was an alternative. I am not celebrating in the streets; but I remember watching those towers fall. I was not in New York on 9-11. Had it been my family in those towers; I might be celebrating, you might be too.
To the brave soldiers who put their lives on the line to terminate Osama's command with extreme prejudice, I say thank you. A thousand times; thank you.

No comments: