Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes we did!

Part three of Obama's victory speech

[Click here to see video]

Yes we did, change America

It has been a long time since I have felt as proud to be an American as I do today. But, I am reminded by the passage of California's gay marriage ban that despite our election of a black president, bigotry is still alive in our state and our nation!

I think Obama is the man for this time and his election sends a powerful message to the world about our capacity for peaceful revolution. But, there are still barriers to overcome. Despite these barriers, in my heart I know, we shall overcome them. We shall overcome.

My sister sent me this poem in reaction to Obama's victory. Thought you might enjoy it, too:

"Sometimes"

Sometimes things don't go, after all,
from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel
faces down the frost, green thrives, the crops don't fail,
Sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war,
elect an honest man, decide they care
enough, that they can't leave a stranger poor.
Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes, our best efforts do not go
amiss. Sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen; may it happen to you.

By Sheenagh Pugh

No comments: