Thursday, May 01, 2008

Happy May Day

Bike chained to stairwell

Happy May Day Everybody!
This is, after all the first, the traditional Labor Day. May Day is synonymous with International Workers' Day, or Labor Day, which celebrates the social and economic achievements of the labor movement.

The safety issue I got "union" about
People chaining their bikes to stairs and fire exits is relatively common at SJSU. I have several photos of this in a growing photo archive. I filed a union grievance about this and today, May Day, they ran an article in the university's newspaper, the Spartan Daily. While not accurate in every detail on some things, I think the story caught the spirit of the issue.

Meanwhile, I rode my bike today
Today, May Day, was a great day for a bike ride. I rode my bike to work again today. After riding about eleven miles to SJSU I did not see any reason to ride the extra few hundred feet to my desk. I rode around SJSU (on the public streets.) I parked my bike in one of the many bike corrals around campus and walked to my desk. What is the problem with that?

[My Union Blog]

[Click here to see more related photographs]

[Copy of Grievance Here]

No comments: